Walking In Another Man's Shoes; Part Two


"There’s really only two rules for hanging out in a biker bar: 1) Be respectful, and 2) Don’t inquire about anyone’s business. If they volunteer it, fine, but it’s up to them, not you. " -Mr. Delcambre
What makes movie bad-ass, cool guy so iconic and recognizable? His vehicle. Fonzie had his bike, Sam Malone had his 1967 Corvette Stingray, Dan Zucko's posse even had an entire musical number about Grease Lighting! Continuing with my little on and off project, "Walking In Another Man's Shoes", my next victim spends his days off coasting the back-roads on his BMW F800GS, a vehicle which puts him in the category of  listed bad-ass fictional characters. However, knowing my next subject for the years I have, and with no judgement or cruelty implied, he may not be your typical, stereo-typed biker. In fact if I were to compare him to a fictional character with a cool car it would be Caractacus Potts, the eclectic, lovable, inventor in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
Image result for chitty chitty bang bang dick van dyke
Caractacus Potts (Dyke Van Dyke) on the set of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Mr. Delcambre and I met my junior year of high school. Like every student, I presumed that this new Chemistry teacher of mine had no life, lived at the school... I mean, the man wore an orange shirt every Friday just so he could say "Orange you glad it's Friday". Nonetheless, if I had taken anything away from my high school experience, it's that everything and everybody fit's into the "Don't judge a book by it's cover" saying, and Delcambre was an enigma.  During our first week, it may even have been our first day, this smiley, coffee- carrying Chemistry teacher of mine decided to use the chemical vent to cause a bright burning reaction. The man had a side that other chemistry teachers didn't, he had a bit of an edge. Maybe he didn't live at the school, like all of the other teachers. Maybe he had a life outside of grading papers and looking at the Periodic Table.
"I’ll admit to a little bit of conceit in that I enjoy letting people think I’m a “Bad Ass Biker” (and the laughs I would get from folks when I would tell them I was a high school science teacher were priceless)."

When we look at a person we can start to identify what their character is based on their outer features and/or actions. For example, if one was to look at me it might be apparent that I love music due to my Rolling Stones earrings, guitar jewelry and band-tees. Looking closer you can tell that I have a dog that I'm close with, due to the free fur coat I get to wear everyday. What you don't see is that I am a practicing, self-taught photographer, that I love being outside in nature, and that my favorite TV show is Cheers Looking at me you wouldn't be able to tell that I'm afraid of ladybugs or that I even have a blog. What I'm getting at is that we express ourselves in many different ways that can be both seen and unseen by the naked eye, but understood if we take the time to get to know each other or let other's into our world.

I started this project with the idea of understanding one thing about my peers that maybe people know or maybe other's don't. Taking to social media, I had asked for either a song, a hobby, movie, destination, etc. for me to try or travel to (if possible) and understand this particular person more.  So here I am, ready to try and understand what makes you, you. Here we are for round two; Mr. Delcambre.

"I got my first mini-bike (a Sears special with a 2 ½ horsepower Briggs and Stratton engine and lawn mower tires) when I was about 11."
Delcambre grew up as the youngest of four in a home that was perched on a wide lot of farm land. By his twenties he had owned a plethora of Honda bikes, ripped up a lot of his family land, and found a
 "I was also quite young for my grade (smallest physically, always picked last for teams, etc.) so riding a mini-bike satisfied both my need for a physical activity that was suitable for me, and it satisfied my scientific/engineering/mechanical desires to figure out how things worked. I would change my own oil and sparkplugs, do all my own maintenance."
Image result for motorcycle cartoon funny  It wasn't until his twenties that his collection had grown into, well a collection. Starting with Honda's in models, CT-70, CL-175, XL-250 and ending with a Yamaha Seca 400. It's while sitting perched on one of these bikes, or perhaps on one of his six, newer bikes, like his "bar bike" a Harley Dyna Street Bob or his BMW F800GS, that the feeling of control and freedom are the emotions that overpower all the rest. It seems that riding a bike has it's perks of not only looking like a bad-ass, but gives on the advantage of dodging in and out of traffic, however, the downside, or trade-off as Delcambre put it, are that motorcycles, as sleek and shiny as they are, don't always show up a cars review mirror.  But while one's riding a bike, yes, please pay attention to the road and the drivers around you but also make sure to allow your senses (Not just sense of awareness) to enjoy the ride. Look around, collect the scenery, the smells, feel the wind against your face, and hear the engine rev.
"The overall feeling I get when I ride, especially on long trips, is
independence. It’s just you, so you have to rely on yourself if something goes wrong (which honestly very seldom happens). And it sounds cliché, but there is quite a feeling of freedom. You have a 360 degree panoramic view, and the sights and smells really give you a feeling of connection to the surrounding landscape- ever gone by a big cow pasture when it’s 90 degrees and muggy, you’ll connect alright!"

 Independence came and went during Delcambre's twenties, when he sold is Yamaha Seca to one of his work friends, due to the responsibilities of fatherhood, which just didn't seem to quiet mix with the timing and shenanigans that can go with the motorcycling life-style. Time however, has slipped away from us, families have grown and so have kids. Ten years ago Delcambre was bitten by the biking bug again when his childhood friend began spending hot summer days, riding his bike from North Carolina to New Hampshire.

When asked, “For someone who has never been on a motorcycle, what is a specific feeling, a memory or words you’d ‘share with them?’” Delcambre answered,
"I would have to say it is the connection you can make with people. Countless times I have been on one of my trips and I have had a perfect stranger approach me and strike up a conversation. Often, it’s someone who rides (or used to ride) and they simply want to share stories and experiences. Or if I’m far from home people will see my license plate and are impressed with how far I’ve ridden (yes, that’s an ego booster). I’ve had numerous conversations with people ranging from millionaires to the homeless. It certainly gives you a broader perspective as to what makes up this country.
Image result for the chop shop pub
Chop Shop Pub
... I have been in some of the sketchiest biker/dive bars on the east coast, and I must say I’ve never seen or had one bit of trouble in any of them (now granted, I’m usually there in the afternoon/early evening, so I can’t vouch for the “witching hour” around midnight). I will say that folks I have met in biker bars are some of the most compassionate, generous people I’ve ever met. I’ll give you an example:
In Seabrook, New Hampshire, there is a place called “The Chop Shop Pub”. It is a classic biker bar. Grungy, a little smelly, the bathroom floor is always a little sticky. But I’ve had some of the most interesting conversations with people that many folks would cross the street to avoid.  Motorcycle club members (“one percenters” like Hells Angels, Talons) ex-cons, and more conventional blue-collar, working-class people, all kinds. The bar is owned by a guy named Billy. One day, a young man with a physical challenge (something like MS or cerebral palsy) came into the bar. He was raising money for research for his disease. So Billy brings the young man out back to the outside seating area (“patio” is too nice a word), tells everyone the young man’s story and says “So OK all you fucking bastards, help this kid out”. The next thing you know, that young man had a fistful of fives, tens, and twenties. "
"I’ll close with this. " Delcambre ends the set of questions with two rules (mentioned at the top of the article). "There’s really only two rules for hanging out in a biker bar: 1) Be respectful, and 2) Don’t inquire about anyone’s business. If they volunteer it, fine, but it’s up to them, not you. "
It was too soon to close this conversation and concept of getting to know a vehicle I had never personally been on. So that's what I'm doing, next week I hop on my first motorcycle, as a passenger of course - well to start at least. Sitting high on that bike my neighbor has graciously agreed to give me a drive on, I know I'm going to feel like a Bad-Ass, it's just the confidence that comes behind an engine revving, gasoline breathing machine.

Many thanks to Mr. Delcambre for his thoughts, his stories, and his charming, beautiful personality.


Popular Posts