Dear Tom ... Mr. Petty

It seems that everywhere I go emotions are still raw;
"I can't believe he's gone."
"That one hurt."
"He was a piece of all our lives."
Two years ago today Tom Petty physically left this world. However, gone from his body, his message and emotion had been branded in the earth core and in our hearts, permanently becoming part of mosts foundations.
Upon his passing in 2017 I had written a short biography on Petty, more for myself to capture his life and recount it. By doing so I was hoping it would still go on and writing it would mean it would have no end. Last year I wrote a remembrance to Tom for my schools newspaper and a tribute with collected memories of fans I had talked to and published on my blog.  Now I'm here questioning should I do something this year. I've recounted his life and given him a tribute, what would I do now? A Thank You, in a cheesy letter.

Good Morning/ Afternoon/ Evening ( Depending on when you're reading this) Mr. Petty,
I hope this letter finds you well and leaves you just the same.
My name is Lindsey C. and as much as I'd like to gush over how much I love you and your work I'd rather this note be filled with thanks and gratitude over it.
Music heals and your music has been both the rubbing alcohol and gauges at rupturing times in my life. In others you have been the scrape on my knee- for it's a little difficult/different being Petty driven at my age, but it's a scar I proudly bare. The insanity your music has brought me is what house my sanity. For that I thank you.
On another personal note, I want to thank you for being my friend in days I was ashamed of myself, or lost in identity. I clung to your records like life rafts. Spending hours just writing down every lyric to Damn The Torpedoes, Thank you for being my sisters friend when I sought help for an illness and addiction. Thank you for coming to Boston which reunited my sister and I again and cleared my head telling me to live.
In the greater scheme of things, Tom- can I call you that?
In the great scheme of thing, Mr. Petty, you showed defiance. You stood up when they told you to sit down, time and time again! God damn it, man, thank you! you never sold out, you never gave in, and you fought for yourself, your band, and your fans.  There are some musicians, whom I will not name, who I love the art but I cannot love the artist. You however are the art, artist, and viewer. You get it. Maybe I'm wrong. I know you're flaw-ty, but we all are. I'm not saying you're Christ, you have humility which makes you part of humanity - which I thank you for. Thank you for being man.
Thank you for understanding man at all stages or trying to, no matter how high your status got.
Mr. Petty, thanks for that infectious smile. That smile makes me come alive when I see pictures. It's a nod of reassurance and security all wrapped into one. It's genuine.
Thank you for giving it your all night after night, day after day. Your sweat, your laughs, your honesty spills out on stage and in your albums and I thank you for sharing your passion with us.
Thank you for being the conductor of a train I hobo'd on not knowing where I was going but housing security and comfort.  But that's the power of Tom Petty; one does not need to know the destination or all the stops on a Petty train ( whether it's a concert, album or even listening to a conversation or interview of you)  just know that you'll get where you're going. you'll meet a few surprises on the way, and you'll always feel warm and safe while traveling.
Thank You.
-Lindsey C.
Related image
Kirk West/Getty Images

 Below are the links to my past two articles on his passing:

Popular Posts